Saturday, March 2, 2013

Word dump - jenni

Great, my list is sideways, so apropo!
This was hard!  I am too simple minded! Here are my words:

Pastels!  I love soft colors, all on the same side of the color wheel.  Muted, blended, calm colors!  I hate black!  I can't stand those "scrappy trip around the world" quilts that all those bloggers are making.  Bright purple, orange, rust all mixed together, I just can't look at it.  Then why is all the fabric I buy BRIGHT?

Organized!  I love clean, straight, crisp lines.  Lots of light colored background with evenly spaced blocks all lined up.  I love sashing too.

Doable!  I like it simple and easy.  Don't get me wrong, I admire those artists that can take a ton of tiny pieces and put them together in an amazing quilt.  I just don't want it hanging on the back of my sofa!

Small prints!  I love little flowers and creatures.  The same way I like babies and puppies and kittens and bunnies.  Yes I am  50 and I love CUTE!  Cutesy little people and baby tiny littleness. I can admit it, Rachel at stitched in color said it was ok!  One of my favorite blogs is nanaCompany. Very tiny and flowery and cutesy!

Things I learned:
I buy all the wrong fabric.  I love all fabric, but for quilting I need to rethink my purchases.

This makes me look OCD.  I am not, really.  Maybe a little. Am I?

I crave organization, but am not organized! 

This was a great excercise, thanks Mins for suggesting it.  I definitely have a "style" and it is not what I thought it was.  Makes me do a little self-reflecting.  Oh dear!

3 comments:

  1. I would have guessed a lot of your words- pastels, do-able (cause that's exctly how I feel,) cute. But there were a few that surprised me. And no, this doesn't make you look OCD at all!
    You're buying the wrong fabric? I sorta felt that way, too. It's tough. For a while now, I've been thinking, "this is all great and fine and dandy, but where the heck does this quilt I'm just dying to make belong in MY house?" I love orange in quilts, it's so fun, but where would I put it? I love paper pieced pillows, but can you really see that in my family room?
    This exercise doesn't make me feel boxed in, or defined, but it does give me direction. And it helps me avoid further fabric purchasing mistakes. I'm so glad we did it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenni, I think you and I have a lot more in common than not. Pastels are some of my favorite! And I'm so glad that you girls feel better directed in your purchases. And that I could get to know your quilting side better! I also think you need to remember that you can only make so many quilts that belong in your own house before your house is over run with quilts. Not that I don't want ten quilts on each bed, but there's a point where your household has enough (is that true?). And that's where other people come in. I frequently buy fabric for other people. For example, I personally would never have a black and hot pink quilt for myself, but for Olivia (at the time), yes. I try to make my purchases something I can deal with if there are scraps leftover, or make sure I have no leftover scraps. It also makes me go beyond my comfort zone. Like right now, Brian asked me to make him a quilt (or complained he was the only one in the family that didn't have one), so I chose colors that 'fit' him. Most are my comfortable colors, but I added 'metal' aka: Essex Linen in Black. Maybe I'll end up adding a color to my I love pile or keep it where it is at my hate pile, who knows? Hopefully I'll expand as a quilter. I think this was so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, I LOVE nanacompany! :)

    ReplyDelete