Saturday, July 20, 2013

Matching Seams on a Chevron




I have a beef with Riley Blake.  They printed their chevrons in such a way that if you cut across the width of the bolt you end up with a bunch of sideways W's instead of a nice continuous zigzag.  Also, they didn't print it exactly on the straight of grain.

Because of this, I had to learn how to match prints on a seam.  I've tried to do this before with poor results.  But I am happy to say this time it turned out perfectly, not once, but TWICE!  It was miraculous.  I want to record my process here so I can reference it when I need it later.



First, iron the seam allowance back.  I made it a little wider than 1/4" just to make things easy.






Next, run a glue stick along that seam allowance.






Match it up and iron.





Sew, very slowly, right along the crease.





TA DA!





Cut fabric as needed.





Square off edge and repeat process.

I still can't believe that it worked so well!  It's a bloomin' miracle.   And it's a little ridiculous how excited I am about it.



2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome tutorial, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when that happens! But your solution looks great!

    ReplyDelete