Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Whew

"Rise, my glorious creation! Rise!" I yelled as I pulled my quilt from the dryer. "Finally! It is finished." Over 1000 yards of thread (in just the quilting), blood, one tear (from that blood), countless hours spent neglecting the floors, the dust, the children...wait, no, the children are fine. Husband, a little ignored, I'll admit. But he's a big boy, he can go make himself a sandwich. And he might as well make the kids a sandwich while he's at it, right?

Seriously, this quilt was intense. And heavily quilted in a machine not quite meant to have fabric crammed down it's throat. But we've all been there, I told my machine. She made a fit about half way through and spewed some sort of oily goop on one of the white sections. I spanked her, took her apart, cleaned her out, then made her gorge on more fabric. I guess 60x60 is a lot for a machine who's throat is only 6". But she made it and I'm proud of her!

I wanted to be done with this quilt (tutorial here) so badly I considered mock binding it with the backing, which I love (a Tula Pink Prince Charming print), but I'd already put so much time into it that I couldn't bring myself to it. So I made a binding out of the scraps and there you go. I happen to love it! Binding it not my strength, so I'm just glad it turned out square. And as you know, snapping photos is also not my strength, but I tried. It was really windy, but the sun was shining. Unfortunately, it was just me and my iPad. Maybe I'll try a few more when my kids can help. Anyway, what do you think? I am very much in love with it and it reminds me of what quilting is about...creating a little part of you. Makes me hungry for more! I hope my family enjoys this quilt as much as I do and that it gets lots of love throughout the years!





















8 comments:

  1. Holy Cow! The quilting on that is truly fabulous! Did you use a FMQ foot? I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you for including a ka-billion pictures because I totally love looking at pics of quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Except the back! Pic of the back post haste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I REALLY LOVE this quilt! I love the colors, the quilting, and the pattern. I agree with Mindy, the more pictures the better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, no, I used a walking foot. Straight lines only and much stop and go. Lot's of echoing. I'll have to take a picture of the back. It's nothing special, no piecing, just solid Tula Pink :) I'm glad you girls like it. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a ton of my pinterest followers have repinned this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. The design is on my to do list and in my stash are brightly colored duponi silks and linens.

    ReplyDelete