Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Cutting Lotta

As a new quilter, I have fallen in love more times than a 7th grade debutante.  My first crush was on Tula Pink, and then I found Echino.  American Jane was too sweet to ignore.  By spring I was gaga for AMH and AGF while others were courting FMF.  I swooned over Bonnie & Camille all summer, and found vintage sheets in the fall.  Then I came running back to Tula, the Birds and the Bees you know.  Many crushes, far too many purchases, not enough sewing.

I am understandably fickle.  I haven't quite found myself, and I'm drawn to many different styles.  There is so much beauty and I want to try them all.

But Lotta...
...be still, my heart.  I don't know what it is about her designs, perhaps it's the monochromatic prints, clean lines, modernized basics.  I L-O-V-E her fabric.

I bought, or was gifted, quite a bit of her first two lines.  But, as much as I love the fabric, I find it difficult to use.  I was looking for a pattern that would suit the prints but never found anything I really loved, unless it was way beyond my skill set (read: sewing curves.)  I was hoping to have a quilt finished, and perhaps a few pillows by the time I moved into our new house. 

Two weeks ago, I finally found a quilt I love.  It might still be beyond my skill set, as there is no pattern, tutorial or even a blog entry connected with it.  Just a lonely little picture on Flickr.  I think I have a pretty good idea of how to assemble the quilt.  I'm going to use principles I learned in this log cabin tutorial

Obviously, it won't be done for move-in day, so I've put it on the back burner.  I did manage to cut it up.  I need to use the navy Echo scraps in a QAL I'm doing, so I had to know what was left over. 






There are 99 or so 5", 4", 3" and 2" squares, ready to be chain pieced onto strips of Kona white in various widths.   I can't wait to get back to this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment